Monday, January 20, 2014

journey to pain free walking ~ day 8 after bunion surgery

Well, today was the day to see the doctor and get the bandages off so I could see my feet for the first time since surgery.  I was feeling pretty good this morning as I got ready to go.  It is slow going but not real bad consistent pain, so not too bad.  I was up for a while by the time I got to the doctors office, much longer than I have been up, so my feet were beginning to swell.  Then the unveiling came.  The removal of the bandages.  Wow, how good it felt to have all that dressing removed and let air hit my feet.  Still not too bad.  I had expected that it would not feel too bad when they removed the bandages and all the dressing and allowed all that blood flow in.  Really, it was a little pain but not too much. The doctor came in and said my feet looked great and we could take the stitches out (thought that was next week)  (YEAH).  Anyway, he said they look great, still swollen but really great. I would have to agree.  I wish I had taken a before photo for you to see.  You have to realize that my feet looked like they had a giant gumball on them where the bunions were.  They look so normal now and this photo is with the stitches still in and they are still so swollen. 

Then came the suture removal.  Now we are talking about pain.  LOL  As she pulled the sutures out it felt like my feet were burning up.  Trying to walk without all that padding, ouch!  This will be an experience!  The stitched area began to flatten out as she was taking the stitches out.  The doctors orders are to keep them up as much as possible but to start moving around too.  Have to wear the wooden shoes for another couple of week but he did say I could go out to eat if I wanted.  Don't have any desire to do that right now but maybe in a few days. Lots of ice.   Hahaha, should have seen the husband and son trying to get me from the van to the house.  Long sidewalk and then I crawled down the steps to the bottom to get to my chair.  Whew...so good to be home and back in my chair.  

Good thing they ask you your pain level when you first get to the doctor and not when they get done with you!  Definitely changes!  Thank you so much to those of you who have prayed for me.  I definitely see God's hand in my healing.  To those of you who have brought meals, thank you also.  The food has been wonderful.  We so appreciate it.  Please keep praying for a speedy recovery.  Things are waiting for me to pick up where I left off and get to work.


Get to shower tomorrow!  All that yellow will be gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment